RECRUITER UPDATES Announces Results of Recruiter Index for September 2022

Company Updates Announces Results of Recruiter Index for September 2022

Oct 10, 2022 / by  Nicole Gallina
Nicole Gallina

Shares insights on the labor market and hiring demand has released the results of's Recruiter Index for September 2022, highlighting job market trends around sentiments, industries, and open positions. 

After two months of increasing, candidate sentiment, the measure of how open candidates are to new jobs, decreased to 3.6/5 - still well above where it was in September 2021. Recruiter sentiment, the measure of how recruiters feel about the job market, also witnessed a slight decrease to 3.5, matching April and May levels.

While the average number of roles recruiters are working on held steady in September at ten, the majority of recruiters noted a small decrease in applicant volume. Approximately 54 percent of recruiters claimed volume rose this month, down for the month, but up by 108 percent since June 2022. 

When asked how many candidates have had two jobs over the past two years, there was a 15 percent increase, currently at 54 percent. The amount of candidates who have had three jobs in the past two years is currently at 32 percent. 

Although compensation (46 percent) overtook management (38 percent) in September when it came to a candidate's number one reason to leave a company, a combined total of 84 percent of the candidates surveyed claimed that one of those two reasons was their final straw for job hopping. 

After months of compensation being the number one priority for candidates when looking for a new position, work/life balance increased by 37 percent in September and claimed the number one spot. Following work/life balance is new experiences (19 percent), remote work (19 percent), and compensation (16 percent), down 41 percent since August.  

In-person roles bounced back in September, outweighing fully remote and hybrid roles. A total of 38 percent of recruiters reported the majority of the roles they are currently filling are in person, followed by remote roles (34 percent) and hybrid roles (28 percent). 

Architecture/engineering held on to the number one spot when it came to most in-demand industries in September, witnessing a 29 percent increase since August, currently at 45 percent. Following architecture/engineering is apparel/fashion (35 percent), accounting/auditing (22 percent), and education (8 percent). IT/engineering fell back down to the number six spot with only 4 percent of recruiters claiming it to be the most in demand. 

When recruiters were asked what roles they see the most demand for, the top 10 recruiting roles included:

  1. Architecture/Engineering: 45% (+10% from August)
  2. Apparel Fashion: 35% (+26% from August)
  3. Accounting/Auditing: 22% (+14% from August)
  4. Automotive: 18% (-6% from August)
  5. Education: 8% (+/- 0 from August)
  6. Recruiting/Staffing: 6% (-4% from August)
  7. Sales: 5% (-2% from August)
  8. IT/Software Engineering: 4% (-21% from August)
  9. Hospitality: 3% (-2% from August)
  10. Medical/Healthcare: 3% (-6% from August)

The next Recruiter Index survey can be found here

Tags: Thought Leadership

Written by Miles Jennings

CEO of